God established the nations –
Families, languages, boundaries of their habitations and their times (Gen 10:5,32; 11:6-9; Acts 17:24-27).
God Authorized Headship and Rule
(1) In Families – Father over the family, Mother over the children;
(2) In Assemblies – Christ (1 Cor 11:3), Overseers (1 Tim 5:17-19);
(3) In the Church which is His Body, Christ head over all things (Col 1:18);
(4) In Nations – God rules and delegates authority to a) Men eg. David (1 Sam 16-1), Nebuchadnezzar (Dan 4:25-34), Cyrus (Isa 44:28; 45-3). b) Holy angels – For Israel, Michael, your prince (Dan 10:21), Satan has usurped rule (Lk 4:5-8) and delegated it to fallen angels prince of Persia, prince of Greece (Dan 10:12-13, 20).
Divine Authority for Human Government Rom 13:1-7
v1 Governments are appointed by God; Their authority comes from God; God commands subjection to that delegated authority.
v 2-4 Peaceful demonstrations, civil disobedience or violent resistance to government is rebellion against authority delegated of God.
It results in condemnation and punishment.
Authorities are a terror to the evil; They do not carry the sword in vain;
They are “ministers (diakonos) of God” for the good of the nation.
God Authorized Moral Laws with Consequences
Obedience results in blessing and prosperity;
Disobedience results in judgment and punishment.
Authorities execute wrath (punishment) upon evildoers (Gen 9:5-6).
Governments also are responsible to God, who appointed them, for the moral welfare and for control of lawlessness in their countries (v 4)
“Righteousness exalteth a nation, sin is a reproach to any people” (Prov 14:34).
God said, “I make peace and create evil,” calamities, families, epidemics (the Black Death), wars defeats, great loss of life.
Thus nations rise and fall under God’s governmental dealings e.g. Assyria, Chaldea, Persia, Greece Rome (Dan 4:17,25,26,32,35).
5-7 The Responsibility of the Christian toward Government
v 5, Be subject for conscience sake- not fear of punishment (Tit 3:1).
v 6, Pay our taxes – The authorities are responsible to God for the financial welfare and defense of the country.
v 7 Pay tribute to conqueror (God permits a country to be conquered because of its departure from His moral laws).
Pay taxes, tolls or duty as required by the authorities.
The Christian’s Response to Unscriptural laws.
We ought to obey God rather than men (Acts 4:18-19; 5:27-29).
Government persecution of Christians foretold from apostolic times to the end times (Matt 10:26-19).
Should the Christian participate in Political Activities?
Financial contributions to political parties; Participation in election campaigns, Running for political office?
These activities are all unequal yokes with unbelievers, with the purpose of achieving worldly political victories (2 Cor 6:14-18).
Voting in elections – Applicable scripture principles:
1. “Come out from among them and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing” (2 Cor 6:17). A command!
2. God’s purpose is “to take out of the nations a people for His Name”(Acts 15:14). Should Christians go back into the nations with anything but the Gospel in order to see individuals brought out? God sees on earth only Jews, Gentiles, and the Churches of God (1 Cor 10:32).
3. Our citizenship (politeuma) is heavenly (Phil 3:20). “Let your conversation be (politeuo, Act as a citizen) as it becometh the Gospel of Christ … that I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one n-dnd striving together for the faith of the gospel (Phil 1:27). These two Greek words are the roots of the English word, “politics”. Our political activities should be heavenly, spreading the Gospel to see people delivered from “this present evil world.”
4. We are strangers and pilgrims (1 Pet 2:11);
5. We are soldiers involved in a spiritual war and must not entangle ourselves with the affairs of this earthly life (1 Tim 2:4);
6. Paul claimed the legal protection of his Roman citizenship, but never participated politically or taught Christians to do so (Acts 22:25-29).
7. We do not know God’s purposes and timetable for the nation; therefore, we could not know how to vote according to His purposes. We should pray for the powers that be (1 Tim 2:1-4).
The Final Evil World Government
A one world government controlled by Satan (2:3-10, Rev 13).
The time is near (Matt 24:28-29. The signs given by the Lord in Matt 24, Mk 13 and Lk 21 are happening at a rapidly accelerating rate.
Many political leaders are members of “one world government” organizations – Council on Foreign relations, Bilderburgers etc.
It will be formed soon after the rapture (1 Thess 5-9; Rev 3:10-11);
Headed by “the Beast,” the ” Man of Sin” (2 Thess 2, Rev 13).
Martyrdom for those who refuse to take his mark and worship him (Rev 13:15).
Total destruction of his world empire by the Lord, and judgment and eternal punishment to the Beast and his followers (Rev 19:11-20).
The 1000 Year Righteous Reign of the Lord Jesus on Earth
Resurrection and reigning of the martyred tribulation saints (Rev 20:4).
The nations of “the saved” will enter millennial blessing (Matt 25:31-34).
Those who suffer with Him and serve Him faithfully now shall reign with Him then over the earth (2 Tim 2:11-12; Rev 5:9-10).